Senior Financial Exploitation "the crime of the 21st century".
Taking about money with your aging parent or parents can difficult, but it's important. More and more seniors are victims of Elder Financial Exploitation, but if you know what to watch for you might be able to keep your parents becoming a victim.
In 2017 alone, reports of suspicious financial activity involving seniors totaled $1.7 billion, according to the
U.S. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. *
Senior financial exploitation and fraud is the illegal or improper use of a senior's resources for another's profit or advantage.
- Exploitation - usually involves someone the senior know, such as a family member or caregiver
- Fraud - is usually perpetrated by a stranger, such as a telemarketer or investment promoter
Why don't older adults report financial exploitation?
- Shame or embarrassment – how did I let this happen
- Self -blame
- Fear of retaliation – can't see the grandkids
- Lack of awareness – didn't realize it is a crime
What do you do if you suspect elder financial abuse?
- Contact Washington Adult Protective Services in your town or state for help. 1-866-363-4276
- Report all instances of elder financial abuse to your local police if fraud is involved, they should investigate.
- If you suspect investment fraud, contact the Washington State Department of Financial Institutions at 1-877-746-4334.
- Download a copy of MONEY SMART for older Adults a resource guide from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
Four Suggestions to Keep your Senior Hydrated
“Dehydration is a common cause of hospitalization among elderly people,” says the Cleveland Health Clinic. Lack of hydration can have some serious consequences and put your loved one at risk. Read more specifics of the dangers of dehydration HERE. ...
COVID-19 Vaccine: Senior Living
In the United States, vaccines for COVID-19 are beginning to be distributed. While the timeline is not set in stone, the CDC has released a guide on “Who Gets Vaccinated First.” Vaccine distribution: Phase (1a) In the first phase, healthcare and ...
The Future of Senior Housing
Ever wondered about innovations and development in senior housing? From clubrooms to dining options, senior living has a bright future. Senior Housing News, a company that covers the senior housing industry, hosted a design contest in 2020 to ...
Celebrating Birthdays in Senior Living
Everyone wants to be celebrated on their birthday. No matter what age. Celebrating Mom and Dad in their community or wherever they may be can be done fun and creatively. Below are some ways to make any birthday special: Make a "Happy Birthday" sign ...
Products to Keep Your Senior Safe
Innovations in technology are helping seniors more every day. We have identified several products that we think have the potential to help your parent(s). Smart Watches- Smartwatches have features like never before. Owning a SmartWatch could allow ...