What are Assistive Devices?
External devices that are designed, made or adapted to assist a person to perform a particular task. Good examples of assistive product and technology include:
- Hearing aids
- Cognitive aids, including computer or electrical assistive devices.
- Computer software and hardware, such as voice recognition programs and screen readers.
- Closed captioning to allow people with hearing problems to watch movies, television programs, and other digital media.
- Physical modifications in the built environment, including ramps, grab bars, and wider doorways.
- Devices and features of devices to help perform tasks such as cooking, dressing, and grooming; specialized handles and grips, devices that extend reach, and lights on telephones and doorbells are a few examples.
- Mobility aids such as canes, crutches or scooters.
What is Independent living?
Independent living: Private quarters with access to assistive services like housekeeping, social activities, transportation, emergency help, and security. Find independent living community