10 questions to answer when reading a residents agreement
Before you move in, you or your older relative and the provider must sign the Resident Agreement, a contract that lists the services that will be provided, the fees and the responsibilities of each party. Request a copy of the Resident Agreement ahead of time so that you can review it at home. Ask an elder law attorney to review the document as well. Resident Agreements differ for each provider. While providers are not required to get these contracts approved by the state, regulations are listing key elements that must be included.
Some questions to consider when reading a residents agreement:
- What is the amount of the monthly fee?
- What services are provided for the monthly fee?
- What entrance fees (if any) are required?
- What are the extra fees and what do they cover?
- What is the policy on refunds (in case of transfer, discharge, etc.)
- When fees increase, how much notice does the resident receive and how is the information communicated?
- What are the billing arrangements?
- Who is responsible for payment?
- What are the costs for renting or purchasing necessary medical equipment or supplies?
- What happens if the resident's funds run out? Is there a charge to hold the bed if the resident is hospitalized? How long will the bed be held?
These are some questions to consider when reading the agreement yourself. Consultation with an elder law attorney will help provide more reassurance and clarity.
Find a community
COVID-19 Vaccine: Senior Living
In the United States, vaccines for COVID-19 are beginning to be distributed. While the timeline is not set in stone, the CDC has released a guide on “Who Gets Vaccinated First.” Vaccine distribution: Phase (1a) In the first phase, healthcare and ...
Signs your aging parent needs help
Growing up we see our parents as a superman/woman and consider them invincible. We get to a certain point in life where we realize that they are aging. After that point we come to a time where we realize they may need some extra help. US News ...
The Future of Senior Housing
Ever wondered about innovations and development in senior housing? From clubrooms to dining options, senior living has a bright future. Senior Housing News, a company that covers the senior housing industry, hosted a design contest in 2020 to ...
Making Home Safe for Mom and Dad
Taking precautions to make home safe for Mom and Dad is one way to show your parents you love them. Paying attention to detail will ensure the longevity of your loved ones. Here are some considerations to make to ensure the safety of your parents ...
Celebrating Birthdays in Senior Living
Everyone wants to be celebrated on their birthday. No matter what age. Celebrating Mom and Dad in their community or wherever they may be can be done fun and creatively. Below are some ways to make any birthday special: Make a "Happy Birthday" sign ...